DataStax Constellation is a first-of-its-kind modern cloud platform with smart services designed to enable easy and rapid cloud application development and deployment for enterprises seeking to take full advantage of any cloud. The platform will launch initially with two new cloud services: DataStax Apache Cassandra-as-a-Service and also DataStax Insights.
“Our enterprise customers and prospects are moving their data infrastructures quickly and assertively to the cloud. Consequently, we are coming in to help with a platform that will make their journeys faster, safer, and more productive,” said DataStax CEO Billy Bosworth. “With Constellation, we are making a major commitment to being one of the leading cloud database companies and putting cloud development at the top of our priority list.”
DataStax Constellation is the only cloud platform specifically for Apache Cassandra. It will allow easy development and also deployment of Cassandra-based applications. Furthermore, it will reduce the overhead from database operations in the cloud via:
- Simplified Cassandra use and management with a single, integrated web console with capabilities such as single sign-on for all available cloud services.
- DataStax Studio, an interactive developer tool for CQL (Cassandra Query Language), which comes fully integrated, making it easy for developers to collaborate by keeping track of code, query results, and visualizations in self-documenting notebooks.
Doug Henschen, Vice President and Principal Analyst at Constellation Research, said: “Datastax is perfectly suited to offer a cloud console that gives developers ‘push-button ease’ and helps enterprises manage their hybrid cloud deployments. More than 60 percent of DataStax customers use DataStax in the cloud. Cassandra’s unique masterless architecture delivers linear scalability; has no single point of failure; and offers the ability to distribute data geographically, which helps latency and availability.”
DataStax is announcing the first two services that will be available within the DataStax Constellation cloud platform; Datastax Apache Cassandra-as-a-Service and DataStax Insights.
Apache Cassandra as a Service
DataStax Apache Cassandra as a Service, available as part of the DataStax Constellation cloud platform, simplifies and also accelerates modern application deployment — from provisioning to configuration and automated backups. DataStax Apache Cassandra as a Service features:
- The only database uniquely architected to run real-time, always-on applications in the cloud.
- Self-healing with advanced optimization and remediation, reducing administrative overhead.
- Up to three times better performance than open source Apache Cassandra at any scale.
- Enterprise-grade security, including unified authentication and data auditing.
DataStax Insights is a next-generation performance management and monitoring tool for DataStax Constellation and DataStax Enterprise. It features:
- Centralized and scalable monitoring across all cloud and on-premises deployments.
- An at-a-glance health index which simplifies administration via a single view of all clusters.
- AI-powered analysis and recommendations that enable automated performance tuning.
- And also Click-through discovery to simplify troubleshooting.
“Constellation is for all developers seeking easy and obvious application deployment in any cloud,” Bosworth said. “And the great thing is that we are also planning for it to be available on all three of the major cloud providers: AWS, Google, and Microsoft.”